The all singing, all dancing blog of Alex Guite

Saturday, December 16, 2006

News flash: flash mobbing comes to Imperial

Yesterday I had a pillow fight with people I'd never met before. And it was this: excellent. When I first heard about the plan to bring flash mobbing to Imperial on facebook my first reaction was "2005 just called, they want their popular internet phenomenon back". But a cursory glance over my blog reveals that this time last year I was too busy geeking out over my computational physics project for any acts of organised spontaneity, so I figured I'd give it a chance. Maybe it was just a slow news week, but even members of the student media also decided to give it a chance. Perhaps the most unexpected thing was that whilst it only lasted about five minutes, it was surprisingly tiring hitting people with pillows. As luck would have it though, I had a pillow with me for a cheeky rest.

Little known fact: according to Wikipedia, "pillow fights have existed for as long as there have been pillows". Fascinating.

I came across a tall tale on the BBC this week. When I was younger I was almost always the tallest kid in the class and this naturally gave me ideas above my station: at one point I thought I might actually become the tallest person in the world. What I hadn't realised was that if I had achieved this ambition it would have opened up a whole new line of work in animal rescue. Just this week for instance the world's tallest man was called in to save dolphins by extending his 1.06 metre arms in to their stomachs to remove dangerous plastic shards they had swallowed.

2 Comments:

At Monday, December 18, 2006 3:46:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's that thing where loads of people turn up and basically all dance to what's on their mp3 player? Imperial should do that (might bring more people to the union than usual :D)

 
At Monday, December 18, 2006 4:49:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was organised by Mobile Clubbing (www.mobile-clubbing.com), it turns out they also organised a pillow fight last Friday!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home