The all singing, all dancing blog of Alex Guite

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

The solitary wave is no longer lonely


Keen to end the solitude of solitons, I've been simulating what happens when two or more are collided. Its pretty awesome and have even managed to make a few animations- although Charlie and I are still debating about exactly what happens when you collide these guys.
The image shows the collision of two solitons, notice how they interact non-linearly. The small oscillation waves on the surface are instabilities in the program which I've since fixed by using a sweet RK4 method for time discretisation.
The last two weeks have been a complete geek-out working on this project, but frankly I'm enjoying it. Deadline Friday.
So why have I updated my blog mid-project when I'm spending most of my time in the computing suite or drinking coffee on Level 8? Gav has promised to update his blog twice daily which is highly exciting, but also means I really should raise my game. Although he hasn't today, so maybe I don't need that much more game.

2 Comments:

At Tuesday, December 20, 2005 8:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure I didn't say I'd post twice daily. I have, however, posted more than you. This is probably because you are a drunken ape, who has no tomatoes.

 
At Saturday, December 31, 2005 10:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This site has become more stagnant than Al's love life, and thus should be closed down immediately.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home