The all singing, all dancing blog of Alex Guite

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Hot off the press: Albert Hall Mansions Fire

Apparently one of the reasons why you, I and everyone were chosen as 2006 Time Person of the Year is because of the power of citizen journalism through blogging. I don't know about you, but although I was honoured to receive this title, I felt kind of awkward at the awards ceremony.

The thing is that I can't really adequately explain what this blog is all about since it started one evening when I had an infected insect bite. It probably wasn't about citizen journalism though. That sounds way too web 2.0 for me. I guess for me it's more to do with publishing hilarious anecdotes about housemates. In fact the closest I've ever got to citizen journalism was by hanging around near my house in Battersea with a whale.

Until today that is, when one of the Albert Hall Mansions caught fire. Armed only with my mobile phone and an observation tower high up in the middle of South Kensington I did total citizen journalism. It felt so 2005.

I'm not going to try and make puns about this combustion because Charlie was on fire today with his scorching post about the incident.

So in the humble spirit of citizen journalism, here are some photos:

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 11:37:00 AM, Blogger Cħarlie said...

Thanks for the plug! The way you fired off steamy puns as you blazed through that post got me hot under the collar. You might even say it left Simon charred.

 
At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 2:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or perhaps myself To Bewildered for a Response ;)

 
At Tuesday, February 20, 2007 5:27:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Forget the fire triangle; you only need to bring three things together to spark an explosion of puns: the white heat of literary talent, some mental kindling to ignite the imagination and the oxygen of publicity.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home