The all singing, all dancing blog of Alex Guite

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Day 2: Titagel to Quantock Hills

Distance: 183.8km
Total: 341.1km
Time: 8hrs 14mins
Average: 22.2kph
Maximum: 70.6kph

Changed from my planned to route to take the A49 for most of the day to try and avoid the worst of the hills. Gradients were kinder in the most compared to yesterday, but the hills were still relentless and included a 1:4 hill to climb. In fact I even climbed above the clouds. Photographic evidence when I get back.

Roads in Devon were pretty messy and I got two punctures before lunch. Made a mistake and tried to press on too far before lunch. Ended up without water and very hungry down some country lane. Eventually got a pizza at half three in the afternoon after 110km of riding.

Youth hostel was pretty basic but with friendly staff at the top of a long track, not good for riding along with a race bike!

Recorded my top speed on this bike as well today. Got to 67kph and decided it would be silly not to try and pass the 70kph mark. Overall a satisfying ride, one of the longest single rides I've done.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 29, 2007 8:57:00 AM, Blogger Tim said...

you beat my top speed too!
look forward to seeing the above the clouds picture? temperature inversion?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home