The all singing, all dancing blog of Alex Guite

Friday, July 13, 2007

On my bike

At the end of August I've decided that I'm going to go to the most southerly point in Britain (Land's End down in Cornwall), aim my bike towards the North and start cycling. Hopefully 1600km and about 350,000 turns of my pedals later I'll arrive at John O'Groats right at the top of Scotland. Those with an eye for these sort of things will have noticed that what I will be doing the so called Land's End to John O'Groats.

So I'm starting a new section of my blog so you can keep up to date with my training and the ride itself (subject to me being able to get onto the interweb).

This will be the longest ride I've ever done and to make it more of a challenge I'm going to do it solo in the shortest time I can manage, averaging at least 100 miles per day. Although I can't wait to travel across the country, cycle through Cheddar (I understand I should be able to get some cheese there) and inspect Loch Ness for signs of life along the way, I'm also hoping to raise some money for Afasic.

I chose Afasic because across the UK there are over one million children and young people affected by speech and language impairments. In fact research shows that six in 100 children will at some stage have a speech, language or communication difficulty... that's about two children in every classroom.

Afasic helps these children, working for their inclusion in society and supporting their parents and carers. They provide a telephone helpline, publications, organise training workshops, run activities and events for the children and young people and have a network of local parent support groups across the UK.

Having needed speech therapy when I was younger I know what a difference a bit of support can make!

You can sponsor me at www.justgiving.com/alexguite!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At Monday, August 06, 2007 5:44:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It's the pedant in me Alex. Land's End is the most south-westerly point on the UK mainland. The most southerly is nearby at The Lizard and unlike Land's End is not just scenic but free to get in. OK, they let End-to-Enders in free at Land's End.

When you get to John O'Groats, the most morth-easterly point, you should make time to visit Dunnett Head so you could complete two End-to-End's i.e the clasic LEJOG and also most southerly to most northely without too much additional mileage. Slip that into your site.

Hope to catch you before you go.

Ken Peters
Central London CTC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home