The all singing, all dancing blog of Alex Guite

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

MSci Report: now with complimentary CD-ROM!

About seven hours ago I handed in my MSci report, concluding almost a year's work in the organic solid state.
As you can see, it's an attractively bound document with some sweet formatting on the front cover. Apparently it even looks like LaTeX. In reality it's just faux-LaTeX done in Word.
Not shown is my first attempt at binding my copy of the report, in which I punched the spine into the wrong side. I'm keeping that one to entertain future interviewers with my novel approach to document presentation.
In other report related news, I had an excellent trip to the library yesterday with Alon to get some stuff for our project. As is his want, he got out yet another book on neo-conservatism (unrelated to our project) which led me to a surprising find: the number of non-science books in the Imperial College Library. Being the stereotypical scientist that I am, with no interest in metaphors, analogies and alliteration, I automatically head straight to the Physical Sciences section to pick up the latest learned article. What I'm missing is literally tens of shelves of non scientific texts. I was somewhat surprised to find some Steinbeck listed under 'humour'. Most excellently I found an 'Encyclopedia of Rhetoric'; make no mistake, I'll be reading it.

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 03, 2006 6:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just don't understand all this latexing shit - I fully believe that all you have simply made use of basic Word functions such as 'Italics' and 'Paragraph Alignment'. Please provide 250 words on what exactly you are taking about, in order to clarify this both myself and future readers. I had forgotten Alon - he came to the Cottage. I drove home drunk.

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 11:51:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wanna get myself some of Guite's report action. But I'm disappointed you didn't write it in LaTeX. Ok, it takes a while to learn... but it looks so sweet.

Excellent work on including the disappearing spoons. I lost one only yesterday!

 
At Thursday, May 04, 2006 7:11:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who the hell is Tim?
If it's secretly the Big Dogg, then you've messed up a vowel homie. But thinking about it, Big T wouldn't say 'sweet'. Is Tim maybe... one of... 'them'? I bet he has a scarf and a long black coat. You boys know what I'm talking about. Shalom Alon.

 
At Friday, May 05, 2006 8:44:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who the hell is Alex Guite?

 
At Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do not know this 'Richard Bacon' and do not know what you talk of. Please leave my office.

 
At Saturday, May 06, 2006 5:35:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

London people wear scarves whatever the weather. Fact.

Richard Bacon is not cool. Fact.

The Sultan is not me. Fact.

Alex Guites needs to be done with this. Fact.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home